Thursday, March 22, 2012

"Ruin" (and a Last Thought on "The Walking Dead")


Before I get to the clip I want to talk about tonight, I have to share some final thoughts about the Season 2 finale of "The Walking Dead," now that I finally got to see the entire episode.

Holy crap! What an excellent episode. Even though he managed to save their son, Lori is furious at Rick over his admission to killing Shane. And while Daryl remains loyal, the others express their anger over Rick's failure to tell them that they were all already infected with whatever it is that reanimates the dead (the secret - as I eventually suspected, after Randall rose without being bitten - that Jenner whispered to him at the end of Season 1). And once Andrea was rescued by a mysteriously hooded figure leading two armless and jawless Walkers on chains, I knew we'd been introduced to the TV version of comic-fan favorite, Michonne. The sword-wielding badass will be played next season by "Treme" alum Danai Gurira. In the comics, Michonne comes between Carol and Tyrese (a character not in the series). I'll be interested to see if she comes between Carol and Daryl (a character not in the comics). Meanwhile, low on gas, Rick insists that the group set camp for the night and asserts himself once and for all as their leader. "This is no longer a democracy!" The episode ended with the camera pulling up and away from the group to reveal the prison which figures so prominently in the comic. I'm already excited to see what's in store for Season 3.

Now, on to what I really wanted to talk about tonight - Ruin.

I came across the short film (really a demo for a feature-length movie) on Io9 (they come from the future)  yesterday and was immediately drawn in by the amazing CG animation, the exciting action and the possible remaining story. It features some of the best CG animation I have ever seen and an exciting chase sequence, while referencing some classic Sci-Fi tropes. If you can, watch the embedded clip in Full Screen:



Wow! I hope they get the money they need to expand this into a feature. I'd see it in a heartbeat.

More, anon.
Prospero

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how the secret is such a secret. In this world, does zombie fiction exist?

While I liked this season better than the first and thought it improved (mostly) as the season progressed I have a few comments:

1. Carl should be chained to Michonne.
2. They really are very relaxed and almost unaware of zombie blood getting into cuts, mouths and eyes.
3. Speaking of cuts, they are also very relaxed about getting injured. With almost no medical supplies or knowledge, small sits or even sprained ankles can be fatal - let alone knockdown, drag'm out fist fights.
4. Why didn't the farm have better defenses? I mean really!

Prospero said...

No, Kirkman has said zombie fiction does not exist in that universe, which is why no one refers to the Walkers as 'zombies.'

And if you remember in season 1 when Rick and Glenn went out covered in the blood, they were very careful not to get any in their eyes or mouths.

As for the rest, well... who knows?