Monday, August 15, 2011

Another Genius' Birthday


Comedian/Author/Screenwriter Steve Martin is 66 today. In the late 70's and early 80's, there was literally no one funnier on the planet than Martin. 

From his early appearances on SNL to movies like The Jerk and The Man with Two Brains, Martin was the go-to guy or outrageous and silly fun. His particular brand of nonsense was unlike anything people had seen before (in the States, at least) and he was a sensation.

Lately, Martin's films have been less than stellar. Honestly, nothing made me sadder than his attempts to replace the brilliant Peter Sellars as Inspector Clouseau in recent The Pink Panther reboots. Sellars' Clouseau may have been am idiot, but Martin's is a sad and pale imitation. But I'm not here to talk about his missteps. I want to talk about the thousands of times he made me laugh, a few of which I have featured below:



Man, I love Teri Garr!



Maurice Evans!



"Into the mud, Scum Queen!"





"Clean that up!"



"Worms, Roxanne! I was afraid of worms!"



I could go on and on, but I don't need to. Despite some recent missteps, Martin remains a national treasure who will always be remembered as a "Wild and Crazy Guy!"

 
Happy Birthday, Steve!

No comments: