Sunday, July 31, 2011

Speaking of Daniel Craig...


One reason (of several dozen or so) that I love seeing movies in a theater is that they show trailers. And the last two movies I saw were each prefaced by at least 8 trailers - some for movies I really want to see, some for movies I'd rather have a hot poker stuck in my ear than see. Before Cowboys & Aliens last night, I saw two trailers that really got to me. One because I thought it might give too much away and the other... well, we'll get to that in a minute.

The first was for Dream House; starring Craig, his new wife Rachel Weisz and Naomi Watts. It's the story of  a family who move into a house where the previous owner had murdered his wife and children. Or did he? 

Craig and Weisz are the couple and Watts is the neighbor who seems to know more than she's letting on.

The problem with the trailer is that it seems to give up too much information. Or does it? I'm sure there's a mystery to be solved, and I hope that we're seeing stuff from the movie's first and second acts only, because it would really suck if not. You tell me:



So what do you think? Too much info? Or is there (hopefully) way more to this story that they aren't showing us? Dream House is scheduled to be released on September 30th of this year.

Now - on to the other trailer that got me riled up. I've never been a fan of movies based on toys (though the opposite holds true of toys based on movies). And before you mouth off - the Toy Story movies don't fall into this category because Pixar invented the star toys for the story and use real-life toys only as supporting characters. I'm talking about movies like the execrable Transformers films. Even worse are movies based on board games. Now I know it has plenty of fans, but I have to say Clue is a terrible movie. The only time I laughed is when the singing telegram girl (played by The Go-Go's Jane Wiedlin) gets shot. But the coming months seem to bursting with board game-inspired movies, the first of which is apparently Battleship:



Liam, no! Still, I guess it's better than two hours of this:



Other board games and toys reportedly scheduled for film adaptations include Monopoly; Ouija and (dear lord!) Stretch Armstrong. Hollywood has truly become the nadir of true creativity. Sorry, I have to stop. I think I'm going to be sick...

More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: