Monday, August 23, 2010

Gotta Dance!


Just a quickie tonight. Rehearsals for Top Girls have begun in earnest, and I'm getting home later than usual.

My sweet Post Apocalyptic Bohemian friend Stephen, reminded me that today is Gene Kelly's Birthday.

I know there are plenty of Fred Astaire fans out there -- and with good reason. Fred's dancing was smooth and debonair. With Ginger (or any other dancer) on his arm, he was the epitome of suavity. But he seemed old even in the 1950's.

Gene, on the other hand, seemed ageless. His athletic dance style and roguish grin exuded charm and sexiness in a time when both were rarely talked about in 'polite circles.'

I am almost ashamed to admit that it wasn't until Uncle P was in his early 30's that he sat down and watched all of Singin' In the Rain, and I have kicked myself for not doing so sooner, ever since. I have also been smitten with Kelly ever since. Of course, while SITR is Gene Kelly at his quadruple threat (Singer, Dancer, Actor, Director) best, it is hardly the sum of his career as one of Hollywood's true legends.





Uncle P would have fallen flat on his ass about 300 times...

And from Summer Stock:



Wow!

And of course, there's this:



Kelly was grace, charm and elegance personified, even in his last film, the lamentable Xanadu (a movie Uncle P and his sister love, despite its many, many flaws), Kelly was nothing short of amazing:



They don't make 'em like this anymore. And that's a damned shame.

More, anon.
Prospero

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved Fred Astaire, but Gene Kelly had it all!! He was the best!!