Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Perfect Timing

Since my last post was about Noburo Iguchi's Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl, I was thrilled to come across the trailer for the Japanese director's latest work Robogeisha (which, when you think about it, is a brilliant title). Truly the work of a madman, Robogeisha combines every over-the-top element of gore from Iguchi's previous films, with... are you ready?... you sure?... OK... Don't say you weren't warned... Transformers (Robots in Disguise!). The title character can actually transform into a rather bizarre form of tank and appears to have another robot inside her, like a bizarre Japanese version of a Russian nesting doll.

And please forgive me this momentary digression, but "Transformers" were toys that came out when I was already too old to play with toys. I had to settle for G.I. Joe. Real G.I. Joe, mind you. Not those miniature pieces of plastic they sell these days. I'm talking about G.I. Joe with "Kung-fu Grip;" G.I. Joe with "realistic" hair; G.I. Joe who was big enough to risk his military career by dating Ken behind Barbie's back (though Joe & Ken's sex life was as boring as Barbie and Ken's, seeing as how none of them had even the semblance of genitalia).


Anyway, via Twitch comes the possibly NSFW trailer for Robogeisha, which features Iguchi's signature fountain sprays of blood; breast guns; beheadings; defenestrations and - I kid you not - breast milk acid! Don't say you weren't warned:


Fried Shrimp! Mmm-mmm!

Now that that's out of the way, via Towleroad comes this great new music video from Marina and the Diamonds - "I Am Not a Robot." The video is slick and fun and superhero-ish. And the song is just terrific. Enjoy:





Of course, the two videos above have absolutely nothing to do with one another, other than my liking them both, very much.


More, anon.


Prospero

No comments: