Thursday, May 28, 2009

How the Mormon Stole Everything

You may want to file this under "Prospero's Philosophy," though I will leave it up to you. Suffice it to say, I think this is the first time I have shared my personal views on philosophy and religion (other than the "Religious Right's" role in the passing of Prop 8) on this blog.
From The Big Gay Sketch Comedy Show on Logo (via) comes this hilarious animated parody.




I don't hate members of the CLDS. They're only doing and saying what has been ingrained in them since childhood. I don't hate anyone, actually. Well, maybe Brad Pitt. And whoever is sleeping with Brandon Routh. And Goldie Hawn. Oh... and for a while, Meg Ryan.
What I hate is the perpetuation of the misunderstandings and outright lies of nearly every religious doctrine in the world. Why, in 2009, do we still hold on to mythology? The answer, of course, lies in our unending quest to know why.
The teachings of Zen tell us we need to learn to accept life as it is; savor it and revel in the joy of existence. Hinduism espouses multiple incarnations toward the ultimate goal of enlightenment. Valhalla is accessible only through valour in life and death in combat; eternity with Ra requires the careful preservation of of the body and the accompaniment of all that is earthly, while Wiccans pray to goddesses of the Earth and Moon, long thought dead. As Paul Rudnick says about members of the LDS, "If he'd told (his wife) the truth, you'd all be worshipping a waitress."
And I'm certainly not saying you should not believe in God (or the deity of your choice). Personally, I consider myself an 'Agnostic Secular Humanist with Leanings Toward Buddhism. ' Does that mean I don't believe in a Higher Power? No. What I believe is that the Higher Power is unknowable (that's the actual definition of Agnostic., by the way).
In fact, some important scientific minds agree that there must be something intelligent in the design of the complex mathematics and physics which seem to guide the Universe (even if the more we know, the less much of it makes sense), though they offer no truly rational explanations for their beliefs.
Since the dawn of civilization, man has struggled with the same philosophical questions.
There are more theories; superstitions; legends; mythologies and religions, than I can count on hands, fingers and other appendages (wink-wink). With so many things from which to choose, how can there possibky be One way; One answer? How can only one religion be the "true" religion? Obviously, it can't. Which then implies that all religions are false. And in a way, they are. I honestly believe that some questions will be forever left unanswered. And I'm OK with that. Because I am having a grand time while I'm here. Not all of it is wonderful, but most of it is amazing!
Of course, a lot of what I am saying is directly influenced by my current theatrical project, which I am sure you sick of hearing about, by now.
Alright. I know, I know. You didn't stop by for a lesson in esoterica. Honestly, I didn't expect to give one. It's just that kind of night.
'

Thank you for reading. I love that you do. Comment away.
More, anon.
Prospero

2 comments:

Elliot Cowan said...

I'm pleased you enjoyed it.
I animated it : )

Prospero said...

Elliot - I am honored that you read and commented on my post. The piece is hilarious. I love how the Mormon looks like Newt Gingrich (or, at least he does to me). Keep up teh good work and thank you for commenting!