Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Disappointment Mixed with Joy



What an oddly dichotic day.

First, as I am sure you know by now, the California Supreme Court upheld Proposition 8. I don't understand why they would do this. This is the same court that ruled it Unconstitutional to deny same-sex marriage in the first place. I cried when I read the decision. Then I heard some activist say something on the evening news that made me feel a little better: "No civil rights issue has ever been defeated, before. No civil rights issue will ever be defeated." As our President continues to back peddle on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and the idiots in CA fall to pressure from the religious right, I am comforted by the fact that at least 5 states now allow same-sex marriage. That's 10%. And that's what the LGBT community is estimated to be (though I think it's probably a low-ball estimate). So this year it's 10%. Next year, it may be 12% or 15%. Soon, maybe not today or tomorrow, it will be 100%.
Then, I went to rehearsal for "The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told," our first since the holiday weekend break. There I was pleasantly surprised to see that my cast had not only actually worked on trying to memorize (they have until Monday to be off-book), but were ready to play, experiment and grow in their roles. It's always a joy to work with fearless actors who are willing to take the extra step and invent business and shtick on the fly, and I am lucky enough to have found 9 who are not only willing to do so, but more than capable of it.


So - a dichotomy of a day. Bad news, supplanted by a good rehearsal. If this show opens just one pair of eyes; if it opens up one heart; if it lessens one person's misunderstanding, then I will consider it a job well-done. If my cast keeps going in the same direction, I can't see us not doing that.
Once again, tickets to the James Tolin Memorial Fund's 7th Annual AIDS Fundraiser featuring Paul Rudnick's "The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told" are available by visiting http://www.jtmf.org/; http://www.kelseyatmccc.org/ or by calling the Kelsey Theatre box office at 609-570-3333. If you cannot attend, but want to help, you secure donation via PayPal can be made at http://www.jtmf.org/. Or your Silent Auction donation can be sent by contacting Event Coordinator Tracy Antozesski at jtmf@verizon.net. Past Silent Auction donors have included the Home Shopping Network; Comcast; Mr. Robin Williams; the cast of ABC's "Desperate Housewives;" Miele Appliances; Simon and Schuster; Ms. Carol Burnett and Broadway Cares.
More, anon.
Prospero

No comments: