Thursday, April 30, 2009

Some Film & Politics Before I Go Away

By now, you all know how I feel about Marriage Equality and Civil Rights. And while I am very angry with many of the hypocrites on Capital Hill, I'm also kind of torn by the newest documentary from Kirby Dick, Outrage.
Dick's 2006 documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated exposed the inner-workings of the MPAA's film rating system. Personally, I'm still very annoyed that the MPAA treats extreme violence with a lighter hand than they do sexual situations. To me, sex is an expression of love, while violence is an expression of hate. Doesn't it seem logical that one would be willing to expose people to love before exposing them to hate? I don't quite get the MPAA's Puritanical views.
No stranger to controversy, Dick has made films about sexual abuse in the Catholic church (A Twist of Faith); the Cult of Celebrity (Derrida) and Sideshow Performers (I Am Not a Freak).
In Outrage, Dick takes on the closeted gay Republicans who continue to vote anti-LGBT legislature while carrying on sexual dalliances with members of the same sex. And while I am all for exposing hypocrisy in all it's forms, I must admit that I am sensitive to those members of the LGBT community who wish to remain closeted, for reasons known only to them. Of course, when said closeted folks take political action which harms and denies rights to members of their own community, they probably deserve to be exposed. It's one thing to be a closeted gay celebrity (Jodie Foster, I'm talking to you), but quite another to be a closeted politician in a position to further Human Rights issues, but refusing to do so because it may make them appear to be somehow "less than."
Here (via) is the trailer for Outrage, due in theatres this summer:



So, what do you think? Should these jerks be exposed for the creeps they are? Or should we respect their right to privacy, and allow them to continue their hypocrisies? As always, I'd love to know your thoughts.
And just a reminder - I am going off the grid for nine days, starting Saturday. I'll be in warm, sunny Florida visiting with my sister and ignoring the rest of the world as much as I can.
More, anon.
Prospero

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have a great trip and wear lots of suntan lotion!