Friday, January 9, 2009

The Best Movie Never Made


One of my all time favorite novels is "The Talisman" by Stephen King and Peter Straub. It tells the story of Jack, a young teen who must travel across the country and between two worlds to save his dying mother and a the dying queen of an alternate universe. Partially set in 'The Territories' (where King's "The Dark Tower" series takes place), "The Talisman" is an epic adventure and an almost Jungian quest story. I have read it at least four times and it never fails to thril me, inspire me and, yes, make me cry.


Filmmaker Mathieu Ratthe made this short demo, starring Cameron Bright (X-Men: The Last Stand) as Jack. Man, do I wish this movie would get made. I would be first in line.


More, anon.
Prospero

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book too. I first read it on a ski trip and all day long I kept thinking - where is Jack now? Did you ever read the sequel? If so what were your thoughts? I have it but have yet to read it.

Prospero said...

I did read "Black House," and while I liked it, it wasn't nearly as good. King's best works about The Territories involve the 'real' world more - like "The Talisman," and "Insomnia." Of course, my favorite Straub novel, "Shadowland," is probably unfilmable. I mean, just look at the mess they made of "Ghost Story."