Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Day Without Gays


Wednesday, December 10, 2008 has been designated as the "Day Without Gays." Members of the LGBT community are encouraged to 'Call In Gay' and stay home from work as part of a protest against recent legislation in CA, FL and AZ which ban same-sex marriage on civil level.
When I was in 7th or 8th grade, we were shown the movie version of Alvin Toffler's "Future Shock." I don't remember much about the movie, except that my classmates and I all laughed nervously at the scene portraying gay marriage. And although I suppose that at even at that age (12 or 13) I knew I was gay, I giggled along at the apparent absurdity of the scene. It's not so funny, now
Personally, I'm sick to death of being told who I can or cannot love and who I can or cannot marry. Especially being told so by the Catholic and Mormon churches. Church rules about marriage and reproduction were put in place for one reason only - to insure an ever-lasting supply of people who were so terrified of "hell," they would continue to make babies who would all grow up and make more babies who would be forever subjugated by (and give money to) the church. This rouse worked for thousands of years, until superstition started to give way to science and people started waking up to lies they'd been fed by the Vatican (and Salt Lake and Mecca and any number of religious headquarters).
But this isn't an anti-religious diatribe. Marriage is a civil rights issue. Don't believe in gay marriage because of your religious affiliation? Fine. But don't tell me that I am less of a person with less rights than you, because I don't believe in your God. Believe I am going to hell because I'm gay? Fine. But don't tell me I am not equally protected under the law because of it. I don't want to get married in your church, anyway. the U.S. Constitution says that all men are created equal. Not some. Not Christians. Not Jews. Not Mormons, Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses or Wiccans; not Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latinos or any combination thereof. All. Plain and simple. ALL. Why is this so hard to understand?
I urge all of my readers (no matter how many or few of you there are) to take part in the Day Without Gays. Maybe once the rest of country realizes how vital we are to the workforce and the economy in general, they will also realize how wrong they are in denying us basic human rights. So call in 'gay' on December 10th.
Okay - I really promise; no more politics (for a while, at least).
More of this, anon.
Prospero

No comments: